GRADES: 9, 10, 11, 12
Length: One trimester/one-half credit (may be repeated for credit)
Students who take this course for the first time will be introduced to the basics of graphic design including: Typography, professional design software, elements and principles of design and design history. Students who re-take this course develop and further their skills in graphic design, project management, teamwork and leadership.
Students use Adobe’s Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) and other design software to create various independent and group projects with some of them benefiting the school and broader community.
Course qualifies for Fine Arts and Career & Tech Credit.
Taken Graphic Design before? Check here for the advanced assignments.
- Chromebook or other type of computer
- iPad (can be checked out from the school)
- Lynda.com Learning Website
- Adobe Website
- other texts and websites applicable to the field
- Course Introduction
- What is Graphic Design?
- What is a good design?
- The Good vs. The Bad Design
- Introduction to Adobe Spark
- Quote Decal
- Introduction to Adobe Photoshop on the iPad
- Mini Me
- A Brief History of Graphic Design
- Text Portrait
- Creativity (How to come up with ideas?)
- Creativity Test (How creative are you?)
- Typography Basics
- Typography Scavenger Hunt
- Font to Word
- Emotive Typography
- Word to Font
- Introduction to Adobe Illustrator in the iPad
- Elements of Art & Principles of Design
- My Reason Why
- Introduction to Adobe Fresco
- (a fun drawing in Adobe Fresco)
- Careers in Graphic Design
- The Technicals (File Formats, Size, Vector vs. Raster, etc.)
- Portfolio Review
- Font Ad Graphic
- Excuse Me
- Splash of Color
- Double Exposure
- Surreal Composite
- Font Design
- Inspirational Quote
- Brand Identity
- Poster about a Designer
- How do visuals affect you?
- How can you use visuals to “manipulate” customers?
- how to create thumbnail sketches?
- Awareness Post
- Graphic Design Keywords
- Printing Technologies