GRADES: 9, 10, 11, 12
Length: One trimester/one-half credit (may not be repeated for credit)
Students in this course will be introduced to the basics of graphic design including: Typography, professional design software, elements and principles of design and design history. Students use Adobe’s Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) to create various independent and group projects to benefit the school and broader community. Projects may include: Posters, Logos, Greeting Cards, Business Cards, Flyers, Advertisements, Greeting Cards, Book Cover Design and/or Portfolio Design.
Course qualifies for Fine Arts and Career & Tech Credit.
- Chromebook or other type of computer
- iPad (can be checked out from the school)
- LinkedIn Learning Website
- Adobe Website
- other texts and websites applicable to the field
- Course Introduction
- What is Graphic Design?
- What is a good design?
- The Good vs. The Bad Design
- Introduction to the iMac
- Introduction to Google Drive on the iMac
- Typography Basics
- Typography Scavenger Hunt
- Introduction to the iPad
- Font to Word
- Word to Font
- Masters of Design // Adrian Frutiger
- Introduction to Adobe Illustrator in the iPad
- Emotive Typography
- Masters of Design // Jessica Hische
- Quote Decal
- Creativity (How to come up with ideas?)
- Creativity Test (How creative are you?)
- Introduction to Adobe Photoshop on the iPad
- Mini Me
- A Brief History of Graphic Design
- Masters of Design // Otl Aicher
- Text Portrait
- Layout and Composition
- Introduction to Adobe Spark
- Introduction to Adobe Fresco
- Fresco Drawing
- Careers in Graphic Design
- Upload all your work to the Portfolio Website
- Portfolio Review
- The Technicals (File Formats, Size, Vector vs. Raster, etc.)
- Logo Design
- Pixel Stretch (only for the computer – not the iPad)
- Low Poly (only for the computer – not the iPad)
- Font Ad Graphic
- Excuse Me
- Font Design
- Inspirational Quote
- Brand Identity
- Poster about a Designer
- How do visuals affect you?
- How can you use visuals to “manipulate” customers?
- How to create thumbnail sketches?
- Awareness Post
- Graphic Design Keywords
- Printing Technologies