GRADES: 9, 10, 11, 12
Length: One trimester/one-half credit (may be repeated for credit)
Students who take this course for the first time will be introduced to the basics of digital photography including: shutter speed, aperture, ISO, depth of field, camera operation, handling & safety, light quality & quantity, composition and professional photo editing software. Students who re-take this course develop and further their skills in digital photography, project-management, team-work and leadership.
Students use Adobe’s Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator) and other photography software to create various independent and group projects with some of them benefiting the school and broader community.
Course qualifies for Fine Arts and Career & Tech credit.
Taken Photography before? Check here for the advanced assignments.
- OHHS Google Account
- Chromebook or other type of computer
- Digital Camera – can be checked out from the school
- Nikon Website
- Digital Photography School Website
- Adobe Website
- other texts and websites applicable to the field
Course Overview (tentative)
- Course Introduction
- What is Photography?
- What is a good photo?
- Introduction to Lightroom Web
- Camera Basics
- Aperture Part 1: Learn
- Aperture Part 2: Apply (combined with Lesson 6)
- Aperture Part 3: Importing Photos (combined with Lesson 6)
- Shutter Speed Part 1: Learn
- Shutter Speed Part 2: Apply
- How to motive yourself to do anything
- ISO Part 1: Learn (What does ISO control? How to control ISO?)
- ISO Part 2: Apply
- Careers in Photography
- Creating Great Images with your phone
- Exposure (How do SS, A and ISO work together?)
- White Balance
- Photography Keywords (Learn the language) –> includes test to check for understanding (Google Form)
- A Brief History of Photography
- Ideation Process (How to come up with good ideas? Inspiration Toolbox)
- Introduction to Photopea
- Introduction to Adobe Mobile Apps
- Elements of Art & Principles of Design (Brief Overview)
- “Technical Stuff”
- Masters of Photography: Ansel Adams
- Masters of Photography: Annie Leibovitz
- Masters of Photography: Vivian Maier
- Portfolio Review
- Your Distance+ Desk/Work-Area
- Something you love
- The color Red
- Your favorite Shoes
- M is for …
- Super Close
- Shallow Depth of Field
- Deep Depth of Field
- Frozen Motion (everything in focus)
- Blurred Motion (background in focus, subject blurred)
- Zoom Effect (click here for tips)
- The Color Blue
- What are you thankful for?
- Something Shiny
- Low Angle
- A pattern
- A plant
- High Angle
- Into the Light
- Black & White
- What makes you smile?
- Something New
- Panning (background blurred, subject in focus)